Falling in Love with My Yoga Practice Again

If you've been following my blog you know that I've spent the past couple of weeks strolling around the tri-state area checking out local studios. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Being a studio owner has it's ups and downs, but one of the worst things is that there are days that I am so exhausted from dealing with the business aspects of it that after finally teaching my classes, I just do not have it in me to do my own yoga practice - a trap that I warn all new teachers not to let themselves fall into.

My yoga practice has changed a lot over the years. When I first started practicing yoga, I could barely do any of the postures without extreme shaking, cramping and using lots of modifications. I realized less than a half a year into practicing yoga that I was feeling better - stronger, and no longer in constant pain. I lost weight, gained flexibility and strength, self confidence and worth. I achieved a state of mental calm that I'd never understood could exist before. And I was hooked.

After many years of practice, I found Power Vinyasa - inspired by Baron Baptiste, and then I studied with him. My body got leaner and even stronger, and I found myself able to do asanas that I never thought my fractured spine could do, and found a connection to Spirit that I never thought I would. I was hooked.

Then I was introduced to Shiva Rea, Pranic Flow, and other creative Vinyasa styles and I was inspired again to create movement based sequences that flowed with the energy of the seasons, moon phases, and all things earth-based, which spoke to me on an even deeper level that tied together my body, mind and spirit. I was hooked.

I found other teachers that had their own bend to the practice, offered Spiritual guidance and general wisdom about life, relationships, and the ability to use the yoga practice to guide you through life. I was hooked yet again.
Then as my business grew, so did the time I needed to spend on the computer. The more time I spent on the computer, the less time I had on the mat. I gained weight. I started having dislocation issues - with my shoulder at first, then with my S.I. joint, and most recently with my wrist and elbow. Recent x-rays confirm more arthritis in my spine and an emergency appendectomy two years ago created an inability to use my core for at least a year and a half. The last three years left my yoga practice practically nonexistent, and with a body that is falling apart again.

This yoga road trip couldn't have come at a better time for me. It forced me back into my practice again. I spent time in Vinyasa and Gentle/Restorative classes. I allowed myself to push my edge and to pull back, nurture and rejuvenate as well. At the end of the road trip week, I am feeling amazing again - having found a renewed love for my yoga practice.

This morning I got up early and went and took a yoga class. Two weeks ago I would have went back to bed and slept another two hours, missed my practice entirely, and complained about how I was feeling. The nagging pain in my S.I/Psoas is gone. The ache in the start of the bunion on my left foot is gone. My wrist feels stronger. My legs feel tighter. My waist looks slimmer. My brain is more clear. My spirit is lighter. This past weekend I could have fought with my husband at least 5 times, yet only did once, and in truth, I wasn't even angry when we did.

I've made a commitment to myself - this yoga road trip has been so good, I intend to visit a studio at least once a week for my own practice - a new studio or a teacher or studio I've already visited and enjoyed. On busy weeks, I may stay local or do a little gentler practice and on lighter weeks, I may trudge into the city for more challenging classes. Maybe I'll get up early and practice and maybe I'll practice on my day off. The door is wide open and I don't think it matters just what type of practice that I do - the only thing that is important is that I'm in love with yoga and my yoga practice again.
Namaste.

Comments

Post a Comment