Flying High with Aerial Yoga! (July 12)

I'm getting one.                 I'm absolutely getting one. 

Ever since Aerial Yoga starting making a splash around the yoga community, I've wanted to try it. Due to the apparatus, it isn't easy for all studios to offer these classes, but Dig Yoga in Lambertville does. After mentioning that I was going to try it out to Ryah, she said she wanted to come along. How great to take a fun new class with a good old friend!

There were two other girls in the class with us who were also new to Aerial Yoga, so I felt really free to start cracking up just trying to get into the contraption. Ryah started laughing too...and then so did they.

The teacher, owner of VaihAyasa aerial yoga (on Facebook), would show us the postures and then we would try to figure out how to do what she said to do. Once you got the hang of it, it really was pretty easy. I was surprised to find myself working up a bit of a sweat. We didn't hold the postures too long, the most challenging part is maneuvering in and out of the postures...without breaking your neck.

The best pose for me was the inversion in the picture above. I felt weightless and the best part was the decompression on my spine. I literally grew an inch. My head started about an inch above the floor and by the time the pose was over, I was pressing into it and growing more. It's many hours later and I still feel open and free without that nagging arthritic pain I sometimes get on rainy days. Maybe it was the hanging or maybe it was all the laughing - but I felt a little high afterwards. 

After a long week (9 days) of my yoga road trip, my ups and downs with my body and my mind, this was really a great way to end the week. I had decided to only take the one class today and end it on a high note with the Aerial class. Ryah and I had lunch at Big Bear, then I went and did a little shopping in New Hope before heading home. Even though my "Yoga Road Trip Week" is officially over, I plan on checking out at least one class a week for a while longer. So, if you want to come practice with me somewhere or have a local studio or teacher that you recommend, please let me know! And for those of you who have been enjoying my yoga blog, I promise to continue it! Namaste.

Comments