Forest Yoga in Philly (July 8)

I've never taken Forrest Yoga (Inspired by teacher Ana Forrest). I've seen videos of her walking around rooms in Wheel pose and creating lots of intense gymnastic-style sequencing. It always scared me. But I thought that I would drop in and check it out in Philly tonight.

Now, I must say that I am not very comfortable in Philly - driving, parking, or walking. I know a lot more about NYC than Philly. So, when I got to the area in West Philly where the studio is located (Studio 34), I parked on a side street and really wondered what type of neighborhood it was. I really wasn't quite sure! I looked at my Prius and hoped it would be waiting for me when I got done class.

Studio 34 is located in an upstairs loft off Baltimore Avenue. It reminded me of a big, open city apartment. The drop in price was only $10 so I liked that. But the girl behind the desk was busy with other folks so I really was confused as to where to go - there are lots of little healing rooms where people can rent to do body work so with all the doors, and two yoga classes happening, I really didn't know where to go or where to get props. I figured it out half watching others and half asking, and set up in the room.

The teacher was a sub, but she was the first teacher since I've started going around that asked people if they had any injuries before we started. When I raised my hand along with others, she took the time to come around to each of us and learn the issue, and give modifications ahead of time. I liked her already.

As we started, the instructions were very precise. It reminded me very much of an Iyengar class. We began seated stretching our wrists and fingers and then did other opening work like forward folds and twists, which I was thoroughly enjoying after so many Vinyasa classes. I wasn't sure what Forrest Yoga was, but I was digging it.

Then we stood up and began sun salutations. I kind of lost it at that point. My body was extremely tired and my mind kept popping off between wondering about my car and wishing I had a towel. Luckily the room was air conditioned with fans running. I was tired and sore from the last two days of classes, so I was hoping for less heat and more stillness. But once the salutations started, the class took off in an entirely different directions. Her alignment cues and instructions were still very good, but it became a Vinyasa practice. And maybe Forrest Yoga is a Vinyasa practice, I think I was just hoping it wasn't and had enjoyed the beginning sequence so much.

I had to come out of the standing postures a couple of times from the same leg cramps that I'd had that morning at Empowered Yoga. But at least she was very mindful to offer modifications and I didn't get the sense that coming out of the pose or honoring my body was something that was a problem.

Class ended with a nice Savasana, and then I went out and found my car waiting for me. The neighborhood was more alive now and I was sensing it was time to get moving out. I set the GPS and headed out of Philly for home in record time.

I would definitely try Forrest Yoga again. This class was a Beginner Forest Yoga (not beginner in my book, but okay), so I'd like to try it again at a time when I am less tired. I may not travel back into West Philly, but I think the studio was nice enough and the teacher very knowledgable that I would recommend it for anyone who already has a strong practice and lives in the area.

As I look at the clock and find it to be after 11 pm, I contemplate showering or just going to bed. I'm starting my day off with an 8 am free chanting class tomorrow in Cherry Hill. I decided to modify my day with a Yin Vinyasa class in the afternoon and Restorative in the evening. Practice with Dharma Mittra is Wednesday in NYC and I need a little more Yin tomorrow. So I guess the only question is: shower or bed?

Comments