Guru Purnima - Celebrating Your Guru

The full moon day of the month of July in the yogic community is called "Guru Purnima," a day where we celebrate our Guru, the teacher most responsible for helping assist our spiritual growth. In some yogic schools, the Guru is a revered person to whom shrines and alters are made in their honor and who's spirit is invoked when the student begins any spiritual practice like yoga.

I have had many teachers over the years - some good, some really good, and some really...well, let's just say that I have learned a lot about how to be a good teacher from some of the ones that didn't resonate much with me. You see, every event in your life and with everyone you meet, there is an opportunity to learn something. For me, some of the worst events have been the best teachers.

But when I think about people who I can look up to as a yogi, a spiritual seeker, a teacher and one who guided my knowledge, I am a little at a loss with personal contact. I've maybe learned from admiring someone from afar: Ghandi, Mother Theresa, the Dalai Lama, yet never really meeting them close-up.

I suppose the closest I got was a year ago when I met Amma, affectionately known as the "Hugging Mother." In a group setting, I did get a private moment with her, one where I truly felt her energy and was overwhelmed by her compassion and love. She shared some deeply personal thoughts with me on my life within moments of meeting me and it truly touched me deeply. Another time I saw the Dalai Lama when he visited the United States and gave a lecture at Rutgers. I was there with thousands of others, but it was pretty darn close to feeling his greatness.

I've studied with Baron Baptiste and Shiva Rea the most of any other teacher. I love Shiva, but she has gotten to be so "big" that you don't really get too close to her. Baron is more approachable and has truly taught me a thing or two about myself. Most recently I took class with Sri Dharma Mitra. What an amazingly approachable teacher - available to all his students in a charmingly casual way, yet commands such attention and a desire to want to learn from him.

This is a day to honor a teacher who has brought you along on your path.

Who is that for you?


Comments