PCYH: an old staple in the NJ community, but new to me (July 11)

Any yogi that lives in the greater Central NJ area knows about PCYH, the acronym for Princeton Center for Yoga & Health. Established in 1996, just about since I started practicing yoga, I'd always heard about the studio but had never actually gotten there. Of course, the location has changed a few times since it's inauguration. Located now on 5 acres in an old 1700's farmhouse, their new location is like a little retreat center close to home.
I went in to take a 12 o'clock class, but there were two options: a core toning class which I was told was Vinyasa at the desk and a "Lunchtime Go with the Flow" which I was told was a gentle class. At first I signed up for the Vinyasa class. I was the only person on the list, but there were about 6 on the Gentle class list. As I stood there waiting for the teacher or another student to arrive, I hesitated, wondering if I should switch to the Gentle class.

My right arm was feeling better but I knew that it wasn't fully healed. It had been a long week of yoga and I took a few moments going back and forth in my mind as to which class would be best for me to take. I was completely unclear when the Gentle teacher came over to say hello to me. It seems she is new to NJ, having recently moved from Texas, and lived in East Windsor. She had stopped by to take one of my classes but it was a day that I had a sub. We got to talking, she was bright, happy and very sweet. I watched several more folks dropping into the Gentle class and made up my mind to switch classes and take hers.

There were quite a few people for a lunchtime class and since I wasn't sure what to expect of the class, I set myself up towards the back so that I could modify if need be. But the teacher, Jenifer Hughey, told me that It truly was going to be a very gentle class as she came around and checked in with everyone to see if there were any injuries or limitations.

I was surprised to find it incredibly similar to the gentle yoga classes that I teach at One Yoga & Wellness Center. Not many people actually teach a true gentle yoga class, and I truly feel that it is an important type of class to offer.

I noticed with the first neck stretch the limitations in my right neck and shoulder, but I just breathed through it. Jenifer led us through the asanas and the breath with smiles and compassion. I felt very relaxed - something I've noticed I do not always feel at all studios or with all teachers. When we got onto our backs, I made a slight movement and I felt a pop in my upper back...why hadn't I put it together before, my rib had been out. This had happened before. It certainly wasn't the entire problem, but it was a big part of it. I was so relieved to feel the release that I didn't want to move in fear of it slipping back out. I sat and breathed for a few moments, then joined in for the remainder of class, which wasn't much longer.

I finished class feeling pretty good. I only say pretty good because there was still lingering pain in my elbow and tenderness in my wrist. But I enjoyed a true gentle yoga class with a really nice teacher. I was so relieved to have made the switch over to the gentle class. As I was leaving the studio to head home, I noticed a stone Buddha resting under a tree. I thought I might stay there and sit a while, but I was tired and wanted to head home and rest, and that was still a long trek ahead.

I'm glad that I finally got around to checking out PCYH. There are so many teachers and styles of classes that are offered and I've noticed over the years that both are constantly changing. So if you haven't been there in a while, I suggest to check it out. Maybe there will be a fun class or workshop available, a chanting group or new teacher that you may want to follow or learn more from. I know I'll take a class with Jenifer again! Maybe you'll even see her teach something at One Yoga sometime soon too.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this post, Tracey, I'm so glad you enjoyed your first experience at PCYH.

    I've been following your blog and journey to other studios - a wonderful yoga 'travelogue' for sure!

    Your writing is compelling and fun. Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment