The Joys of Being a Student

Every year I try to take a training for myself. First of all, I believe that we can always learn something new. Secondly, there is something joyful about being a student again - not planning the itinerary, leading the group, dealing with issues that arise, etc. It's just so nice to be led through a training my a seasoned teacher, allow yourself to go through the processes of the growth experience, and enjoy whatever new information comes your way.

I recently had the pleasure to both host and take Michael Sitzer's Thai Yoga Bodywork (TYB) training at our studio. We did a 2 week course, 4 days, 24 hours and it was so much fun. We had a great group of folks in the course and we got to practice and even more importantly RECEIVE Thai Yoga Bodywork. I have often thought about integrating massage trainings to our studio. It was a blessing to see all the energy exchange for this ancient healing practice occurring around the room. Some folks who had been stressed (self included) or that I hadn't seen smile in a while, were beaming from ear to ear after each session.

The hardest part of the day was cleaning up and clearing the room for the next yoga class. I was in such a joyful, relaxed place, to immediately switch to owner/business mode was quite interesting for me to see just how quickly my energy shifts. I feel the playfulness both when I am teaching and being a student, but when I have to collect money, or set something up - conduct "business," boy does it drain my energy quickly and there is a shift within me when my brain moves into full "on" mode. Must be the Gemini in me!

It is great to soak in new information, practice, apply it and make it your own. Michael's relaxed teaching style reminded me very much of the Thai approach to life. Whenever we asked if we could change the movement or position to make it easier on our particular body he would say, "Sure, whatever feels better for you. You have to play with it." When asked if we were doing "it" right, he would comment, "Looks good, how does it feel?" Or just give an affirming nod. Michael reminded us to be playful and have fun (in Thai the word for this is Sa-Nuk) and that in most Thai Yoga Bodywork sessions that the practitioners, who are working on people right next to each other, will often talk and laugh during the session, keeping life fun, light and relaxed. I recall when I was in Thailand this was something that really got under my skin at first. My Western mind required silence and attention during my massage! But after a while you come to understand that delicate balance of life where there is a need to laughter and joy and that while working, you don't have to switch modes and become more serious all the time. Hmm, such great wisdom in that!

Our culture, our world, could learn so much from that simple Thai lesson of  Sa-Nuk, keeping things fun and joyful. Everyone is so very serious anymore. With the financial situation, Middle-Eastern tensions, GMO's, and everything else we are bombarded with, we have become a world who worries about everything so much that we have forgotten, to a large extent, how to be happy, silly and have fun. Wouldn't it be nice to just let all that go for one day - not because we don't care, but because we need to balance our life with joy and fun?

Part of the reason I took my summer Yoga Road Trip was to go around and see what other studios were doing. The other reason was to immerse myself back into my own yoga practice and experience the joys of it again. I found that. Then the next two weeks I invited Michael in to teach us TYB. I must admit, I had intended to get a few other things done this summer, but instead, I am quite enjoying being a student again! I wouldn't say that I envy my students because I truly get more out of teaching them then they probably get from learning from me - or maybe it is a mutual exchange. However I do understand where that sense of peace comes from when they enter the studio to take a class - because they know they are in a safe place and are about to be guided on an inner journey that will leave them smiling when the leave.

If you are a teacher, facilitator, mentor, parent, business owner or counselor, when was the last time that you let yourself be a student and enjoy the process of surrendering to it? Maybe it's time to drop in again...the joys of being a student can take you to places that you never expected.

Michael Sitzer's TYB Website

Comments