There's No Place Like Home

I'd spent roughly 18 hours on my mat over 9 days and traveled to 14 different yoga studios. I did Restorative Yoga, Yin Yoga, Yin Vinyasa, Power Vinyasa, Vinyasa Flow, Master Sadhana, Gentle Yoga, as well as classes that were inspired by Jivamukti Yoga, Baron Baptiste, and ultimately Dharma Mitra himself. In each and every class I learned something new: about myself or my practice, about being a teacher, a friend, a wife, a studio owner, and more. There were days when I didn't want to get up and practice, and there were days when I awoke before my alarm because I was so excited to get going. In some classes I wanted to run out screaming, my legs cramped up, and without my towel had sweat so much that I was forced to let said sweat run down my face into my eyes. In other classes I was so relaxed and nurtured that I never wanted to leave. I found new music to use in classes, purchased some cool yoga clothes, and met some really interesting people. All in all, it was an amazing experience that I am so glad I finally took the time to do. I'd never exchange the experiences of the past week and a half for anything. And yet...coming back to my own studio on Saturday was an even more incredible experience.


There's nothing like coming home, isn't there? You can be on an exotic vacation or visiting great friends that live out of town, but nothing beats coming home, kicking off your shoes, sleeping in your own bed, and knowing where everything is. Well, I feel the same way about the yoga studio.

I arrived early to the studio, excited to move some things around. I'd had so many visions or flashes of insight about my life and the studio over the past week that I was determined to get it all done as soon as I could! I walked into the studio and smiled. "Home at last!" I took a quick scan and determined that I'd forgot to water the plants - oops. And the carpet was messed up - okay. And the paper towels were almost out in the bathroom. But despite the little things I'd forgotten to have handled, it was my little studio. The place that I'd spent hours painting, decorating, moving energy around, cleansing, and teaching hundreds of students. Nothing can ever replace the memories or equate to the energy that my studio holds for me.

I feel truly blessed. Blessed to have been able to go around visiting other studios, meeting teachers and getting back into my own practice. Blessed to have so many supportive students, friends and family. Blessed to have the more awesome studio to come home to (Voted Best Yoga Studio in NJ, don't forget!).

As a creative person, sometimes the same situations create stagnation for me. I come home to One Yoga & Wellness Center with a renewed energy and vision, passion and inspiration. It's easy to be run down and overwhelmed by the day to day activities of home and work. But you take a little time away and - bham! - suddenly there's new perspective. And then you realize that the little things you were complaining about, worrying about, obsessing about - were simply symptoms of stress.

Ah, if only there were a good yoga studio in the area to help me deal with that!
Namaste.

Comments