Yin-Vin - the Perfect Combo (July 9)

Just 2.5 miles down the street from Yoga in Haddonfield is Yogawood (in Collingswood). It's even on the same road. And as luck would have it, they had a 1pm class. I had just enough time to grab a quick salad and protein shake in Haddonfield and motor to Collingswood for their Yin-Vin class with owner, Beth Filla.

I'd been wanting to see just what a Yin-Vin yoga class was. We had tried it several years ago at the studio, but couldn't get it going. People either thought it was not enough yin or not enough vin! I was curious to see how she would sequence it and how many people would come to a class at 1pm. Well, let me just say, she had like 9 people there and she said that most of her regulars were on vacation and the room was usually packed!

A beautiful studio with lovely wooden floors with big, knotty grains. One wall was painted exquisitely (see picture) and the other was brick with a bronze type glaze on top. I didn't even realize they had a store because it was upstairs. I entered into the yoga room and set up for class with the assistance of a student.

Beth was very nice. She came around and talked to me about what I was doing (my little yoga road trip) and made sure to check in with everyone (something I find so important, yet am finding that not every teacher does).

We began with some chanting. Beth brought out her harmonium and we began chanting:

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

a translation being: O my Lord, the all-pervading Personality of Godhead, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You. 

After chanting we began the Yin practice. Beth guided us through each practice discussing the aspects of the mind, reality, and consciousness. She quoted her own beloved teacher, David Life of Jivamukti Yoga, a man I've also practiced with a few times and found to be the REAL DEAL when it comes to yoga teachers. I could feel Beth's emotion and pure love as she led us through the entire Yin practice. I felt so relaxed that I almost didn't want to Vin! But, that time came.

We did a few sun salutations with some standing asanas, then came to the ground for twists and hip openers before savasana. It really was a perfect practice - yin to thoroughly open you up, and just enough vin to get a sweat going, but not overwork you. I felt truly amazing after class. Now, was it the morning chant and the Svaroopa class I'd just taken in addition? Perhaps, but I still felt great and I was truly blessed to have taken class with Beth.

One of the students recommended I come back on a Friday to take Beth's Jivanukti Spiritual Warrior class, and I absolutely will. Her alignments and assists - both verbal and hands on were amazing! Definitely some of the best that I've had in the local south jersey area.

Is a Yin-Vin class in One Yoga's future? I could see it happening...maybe now is the time to try it again.
Blessed to practice with Beth.
Namaste.

Comments