Man Oh Man: 2 Yoga Classes with 2 Different Erik's in One Week!

This past week I took two separate yoga classes at different studios - both with male teachers. Other than Baron Baptiste and Dharma Mittra, most of the teachers I've taken classes with have been women. Although the historical evidence of yoga indicates it was mostly practiced by men in earlier times, we have certainly tipped the scales in modern-day yoga. Most local classes are anywhere from 80-95% female. In the cities I notice a much larger group of men practicing, and I do see more men dropping by taking yoga classes all the time. So perhaps the scales will eventually tip again - or, better yet, completely balance out!

I've been pondering the difference between male and female teachers to try and determine a defining difference between the two. I'm not sure that I've found a consistent one - I suppose like anything, it depends on the person. So I shifted my interest into determining if there is a difference in me when I practice with a male teacher vs. a female teacher. I'm still pondering that fully. What I can say, from this past week of practicing with two teachers who were; funny enough; both named Erik, is that there was a strong similarity in the Asthanga style influence, culminating to advanced arm balanced postures. However, the teaching style, the practice and my experience, were all completely different for each class.

Let's take Erik #1. This was a NJ studio. There was air conditioning and loud air pumping in for a majority of the class, so even though we did a Vinyasa style sequence, I never really broke a sweat. The sequence was "Vinyasa-light" - some basic Surya Namaskars, a few key postures, then on the floor for arm balance, followed by headstand, then floor asanas to savasana. There was really no mention of the spiritual of mental component. It was mostly focused on the physical attainment of the postures, without a lot of alignment details other than to step here or there. He would mention how he likes to do postures a certain way and why, but there was never a mention of muscle movement or engagement. I avoided the arm balance, knowing that I simply wasn't prepared to do so, but did take headstand. When I went up, I heard him whisper that he was there in case I needed him to hold my legs. I didn't, I was fine, but it was nice to know he was there in case I started to fall on someone. Other than that, he taught from the front of the room, not necessarily doing the practice, but occasionally showing the asana as he described it. I wasn't blown away by the experience. It was an ok class, with some challenging postures put in, but I never felt ready or supported enough throughout the class to even try the challenging poses. The arm balances, in my opinion, weren't worked up to with the Vin-light sequence, and in looking around, the only other student in said arm balances, was the other man in the room.

Erik #2, was a teacher in Philadelphia. Upon entering the studio, I was greeted with a warmer room, which gradually got hotter and allowed me to sweat - a lot. The practice was aggressively Asthanga in style, however, Erik took time to discuss the mental/spiritual focus with us before we even got moving. He consistently encouraged people throughout the practice as he walked the room, showcasing asanas only when necessary - like those meaty arm balances and tricky transitions in between postures. I found myself smiling and really enjoying the class - even though the girl in front of me (we were lined up face to face) had a pout on her the entire time. I felt inspired to move deeper into my practice and try the arm balanced - where as earlier in the week, I felt more defiant about even going there. For me the strange moment came when my new favorite pose, headstand, was  unattainable. What the heck is going on?,  I thought to myself.

Looking back, I realize that with Erik #1, I didn't really feel inspired, nurtured or guided through an experience. I didn't get a chance to dig deep. With Erik #2, I felt all that and more, pushed myself so that by the time we got to headstand, I was a little spent, and a lot in my ego too, in that "needing to please the teacher" mode. So while I didn't feel as inspired by Erik #1 and was thus able to truly work at my own pace and do what I needed to do for me, while being inspired by Erik #2, I pushed myself to the point where I went a little too far. I even had some severe hip pain throughout the day and evening.

Hmm, lots to consider. Which teacher was better? Which practice more authentic? Who knows, really? Just very different.

My initial question about working with male teachers and how it may be different from female still remains. I think that perhaps there is a potential in me to want to work more for a male teacher, and thus the potential for feeling more let down by them when their teaching style doesn't stand up (wow, isn't that loaded with information!). Where this comes form - some outdated energy based around male superiority, my own past experiences with male bosses, school teachers, or other men of authority? - I don't really know. Maybe I feel a kinship and same level of "peer" energy with female teachers, and thus not really viewing them subconsciously and energetically as true "teachers." Or does it come from a very basic survival instinct of the male species being the provider for the female? Christmas! I don't think I'm going to know for sure in one week and two classes, but I do see the potential for learning a lot more about myself.

Yoga is such an amazing journey to the self. What always starts as an external practice, winds up going deep inside. There's no one way, no right or wrong way - there's only your way, your path. I'm finding mine quite entertaining. I'm laughing at myself a lot more as I uncover more about me. I'm really ridiculous most of the time. I worry about silly things, spend a lot of time pondering potential situations in my head, and spend much more time giving than receiving. They, I believe, are by large truly feminine issues. What I learn a lot from men (not just teachers), is to enjoy my life, take care of myself, and deal with situations as they arise.

Candace Bushnell of "Sex and the City" fame said, "Men may have discovered fire, but women discovered how to play with it." I always liked that quote, wrote it down in my notebook of cool quotes wanting to use it one day. There it is. Take of it, what you will!

So I would encourage anyone - male or female - to take classes with a teacher of the opposite sex and see what comes up for you. These, of course, are only my thoughts and experiences.

I'd love to hear from you about what your thoughts are on male vs. female teachers and your personal experiences. Please write and post them to this blog-spot. Maybe we can get a little discussion going!
Namaste.

Comments

  1. Hey Tracey! I love this entire post. I enjoyed reading it very much. I almost think you got more from Erik #1, doesn't mean he was a great teacher, it just means you have a strong practice and his being helped you get what you needed. Whereas #2 Erik was just something you already know and give all the time....compassion and great teaching. IN the end you got something from both, maybe learned more about yourself and what you need from the first one. I recently had a bad experience with a "show off" type male teacher. He payed no mind to the room, just practiced in front of everyone, profusely sweating, while we tried to keep up. Some people (all women) in the room did in fact keep up but for the ones who couldn't (myself included) this was not a great class at all. He was too athletic about his "teaching" and for it he lost most of his class. In my experience women are more compassionate and understanding about teaching a practice that can be so healing and sometimes so challenging. This was only one experience so I don't wish to be too general here, just my one experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts, Jenn. I truly believe you learn something from every yoga class you attend and with every teacher. We always take something away from our experiences and everything is an opportunity to learn more about yourself and look deeper! Namaste.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment