Reminder to Self: This is Why You Teach Yoga

Like most people, there are many high-lights as well as challenges to the job that I do. Teaching yoga and helping people are the high-lights. Paperwork and staff issues are the low ones. But that is all part of running a business - and as much as I want to think that a yoga and wellness center is not a "business," well, it is. There are weeks when the things that are challenging keep mounting. There have even been moments when I have considered closing the doors because it can sometimes be overwhelming. What keeps me going - every single time - is that a student or students, at the very time when I am considering closing, remind me why I do what I do.

This past weekend was no different...

This past weekend was my birthday. Not a significant one in the numbers category, but, as usual, I was telling people that I was older than I am. I am not good with numbers, so at 46 years young I really was convinced I was 47. No matter.

My birthday was on a Saturday and I had a light teaching load scheduled: only 2 yoga classes - one at 9:30 am and another at 12:30 pm. No real reason to get subs or cancel classes, so I headed in to teach my regular classes, thankful to be getting home early to spend a little time relaxing before the holiday weekend took off. Because it was a holiday weekend (Memorial Day), I had been advertising my classes all week. I wanted to make sure that folks got in their yoga practice, so I was all over social media telling everyone to come take a yoga class with me on my birthday. Really, I was only hoping to get people in the door for class...I was not expecting any more than that.

I arrived at 9 am and to my surprise and delight found balloons and a birthday card from a new student of mine. It was very thoughtful of him to arrive early and have them waiting for me before class. Soon to fallow another student came in with a beautiful bouquet of flowers. I was yet again surprised with home-made Roti from another student and his wife. Roti is a delicious Thai treat that is difficult to replicate from that in which the street vendors in Thailand make. I was about to go in and teach my class, but I had to eat that Roti first while it was hot. Man, it was good!

So, stuffed and feeling happy I waddled into the yoga room to set up the playlist for class, asking everyone to come into child's pose. Normally it's a pretty quiet moment in a yoga class. Not this time. The class broke out in a round of "Happy Birthday," to the surprise of myself and a couple of new students that had just dropped in to take a class while in town. Again, the sentiment was sweet. I had never gotten a round of "Happy Birthday" in class before and was truly touched.

After class another student came up to me to give me a birthday hug. She admitted that she wished she had known because she would have gotten me flowers. I told her that it was not necessary and truly, that her being there for class was enough for me.

I went to lunch with a friend and came back to a bouquet of roses and a card from that student in the door of the yoga studio. She had also left me a phone message to tell me that she had left them there for me. After class I called her back and left a message on her machine. Really, I was truly touched by such affection from everyone, and she most certainly did not have to come back with flowers.

Later that afternoon I received a text message from the student that had left me flowers (I had called her back from my cell phone, which I often do). Her text brought me to tears of joy and happiness, as I was once again reminded why I love teaching yoga. It simply said:

"Hi, it's _______. Was in shower after planting in garden...You deserve the flowers and more. I wonder if you know how important you, my practice & the studio have become to me. You all came at a crucial time in my life when I am desperately searching for a community in which I can be my best me & be comfortable. Thank you! Bless you & Namaste!"

I love all of my birthday gifts: the vegetarian muffins, the balloons, card, flowers, lunch and Roti. But, come on!

This is not the fist time that I have received such a message form a student. I keep the hand-written ones in a box and the emails in a folder. There have been days when I really just needed to pull them out and read them again. Not that this day was one of those times, but that message will certainly be added to the box.

I have always said that the reason I teach yoga is to help others heal themselves. When a student is touched by my classes or the community that I've created, well, that is just the best present that I could ever receive. And I guess I'll keep teaching for a while more.

The Light in Me Honors the Light in You.
Namaste.
Tracey

Comments