A Day with VAYU (Air or Wind)

The element of "Air" represents those things that we cannot physically see, but whose presence is clearly felt upon in our lives. It is associated with Spirit or Soul. It cannot be captured nor held in the hands. Instead we can see it like the ripples in water, the fallen leaves dancing in circles, dust swirling in our path and the playing in a young girl's hair.

Today I had a unique day "off." And I mean really off. My dogs were not at home nor was my husband or anyone else. I had not classes to teach or take, no phone calls to make. I had no laundry to do nor any chores that fell through. No, it was a pure day open.

I awoke early, looking about for a clue of how to start my day. I noticed that the bird feeders out back were empty, so I looked about and found a half a bag of seed in the kitchen. Filling up the the bird feeders, I immediately began enjoying many colorful visitors: cardinals, bluejays, goldfinches and more. The neighborhood pesky squirrel seemed to have moved on for the day, to which I was thankful.

My kitchen table had been piled with Turkey feathers for some time. I had anticipated making smudging feathers to sell and give away, and had made a few but stopped. Today they seemed to be beckoning me, so I sat down at 8:30 and finished up around 2:30 - some 27 smudging feathers completed. I also ate about 5 snacks in between, but who is counting? I listened to beautiful yoga music and inspiring chants, sang and crafted the day away.

I had left the back door and windows open all day to feel the beautiful breeze and listen to the many chipping birds. It was really a wonderful experience to enjoy. But after the smudging feathers were cleaned up I was not sure just what to do with myself. I walked outside and felt the summer breeze along my body. I walked to the mailbox to retrieve the mail and came around the back of my house, noticing quite a nice shady spot by the trees. There was a bird's feather in the grass for me - I always think of finding feathers as receiving a present.

I stopped to think about all the air elements in my presence today.

Interesting.

I went inside and snatched up my yoga mat, and headed outside to that little spot where I practiced yoga for about an hour and a half. In that time various butterflies and birds came by to say hello, cackle above my head or land on my mat. It was an inspiring practice where I truly felt the presence of, well, something else with me.

I'm not quite sure why I have been given this day with sacred vayu. But I truly appreciate it. There have been many thoughts of friends and family who have passed today. I choose to look at it as their acknowledgement of my thoughts of them. There is a comfort in that today.

Maybe another element will grace me with it's presence tomorrow.
Namaste, Vayu.

Comments