August Theme: SURRENDER

"You surrender to a lot of things which are not worthy of you. I wish you would surrender to your RADIENCE...your INTEGRITY...your beautiful human GRACE.
- Yogi Bhajan

I am a control freak. There it is. It's out there and I've released it to you all. I try to organize, manage, coordinate, and control everything because for most of my life everyone has allowed me to. How's it all working out for me? Not so great, really. Relative successes are usually followed by monumental failures. I know this and I'm working on it. Maybe you can relate (especially if you are a woman...or a Gemini).

When I first came to the path of yoga and learned about Surrender, it went against almost everything in my life that I'd been working on. I was a single, young female in a management position, fighting for a place of respect amongst the men (and women) of the company who just simply didn't give women the same level as men. I moved out on my own and was paying all my bills and coordinating social events and managing most of my friend's lives as well. "Surrender?" I questioned. "What kind of crap is that!?" Ah, but then I started to realize that the control that I thought I had was really all an illusion. I had no real control. Just when I thought I had things covered the Universe would pull the rug out from under me. Just when I had all my ducks in order, one would fly off somewhere to parts unknown. And I would chase it. I would run it down, even, trying to get it back. But alas, that never worked out very well either. No, I was starting to realize that there was great wisdom in this surrender idea. And so I started to go with it...well, a little bit anyway. 

I've come to realize that when my life is flowing it is when I am in alignment with my truth and thus the greater Consciousness of the Universe. When things are not flowing, usually I am forcing something unnatural or untrue to happen. So, here I am, a control freak working on surrender, with some success and some failures. Maybe one day I can tell you I've let that go too...work in progress!
In Love, Service & Wisdom.
Tracey L. Ulshafer,
Founder/Director, One Yoga Center 

* * * * * * *

This month we invite you to dive into our theme of "Surrender."

For those of you on summer break this may seem like a peace of cake, but perhaps really allow yourself to digest the concept of full surrender - what it means when you give up your ego's need to control any situation or outcome, and relish in the Divine, knowing that the Universe has your back and wants you to be happy, and as long as you align to your truth with integrity that this One Consciousness that you are a great part of will align to conspire to allow energy to flow with grace into and through your life. 

Some people perceive surrender as giving up your personal power. But that couldn't be further from the truth. Surrender is empowerment. Surrender is aligning fully with the greater consciousness and knowing that everything that is happening is happening at the right time and the right place and in the right way. And when we find this alignment, this is truly powerful.

Think of something in your life that is not working out so good. How are you fighting against it? How are you unknowingly putting out negative energy and waisting valuable time working against the natural energies around you? How could you better serve yourself to surrender...detach...let go? As you walk through this month keep asking these questions. This is also the final niyama in Patanjali's Yoga SutrasIshvara-Pranidhana, so practice brings you closer on the path of yoga.

Some of us have a lot to think about and work on this month...

In Love & Light.
OYC Founder, Tracey L. Ulshafer & your OYC Teaching Staff

Closing Comments...

"We can call it Inspiration, Source, God, Spirit, Oneness, Creative Force or Love. The Divine is both manifest in all things material and unmanifest as pure Consciousness. Ultimately it does not matter what we choose to call it. What matters is that we become so immersed in it that we know ourselves as it. Our love simply becomes love. Our light simply becomes light. And our dedication becomes wholehearted devotion by recognizing the sacred in all that is within and around us...When we attune to the energy of love and walk through the world seeing everything and everyone as part of the One, we experience unparalleled levels of well-being and joy." - Jennie Lee "True Yoga"

What is not flowing in your life at this moment?

Where are you fighting to keep an old energy that so much wants to release?

How can you connect with the Creative Force and fully Surrender?

Comments