October's Theme: "HOPE"

"Hope" is our theme for October. Last month was National Recovery Month and as many of you know, we offer Yoga4Sobriety classes and teacher trainings to help those in their ongoing battle with recovery. We also offer Yoga 4 Cancer - classes that offer those healing from cancer in whatever way. Our hope is to continue to offer special classes for those suffering in any way - be it from illness or addiction - or anything else. 

The whole of the human frame, according to yoga, is about liberation from suffering, although all humans suffer in one way or another. Some yogis advise that hope only inspires more suffering, and so to give up hope means that we can move past our attachments and thus suffering. But other yogis say to never give up hope and to keep a positive attitude for tomorrow by using various yogic techniques in which to help guide us along the way. Either way, yoga gives us methods of alleviating our suffering and it is certainly up to the individual to define his/her own path.

According to the Father of Yoga, Patanjali, "Change, longing, habits, and the activity of the gunas can all cause suffering. In fact, even the wise suffer, for suffering is everywhere." Yoga Sutra II.15.

To ease suffering, yoga says to respond with equanimity to changing circumstances, longings not met and patterns that may not be serving you. It is about clearing our perception and being more connected to a quiet place of inner Self. We can do this by bringing our awareness to breath and regulating it so that it is even and smooth. While we are there, reflect on the situation that has you agitated and experience your feelings. Once you pinpoint what you are feeling, ask if you have control or not. And when you realize that you don't, practice letting go.

This type of self-awareness takes time and patience, but can be done. We are all suffering, but it really is about stopping, taking a breath, and recognizing that what matters is how we react mentally, emotionally and physically to the situation that matters. So for this month, let's all surround ourselves with positive energy and focus on the energies of hope. 
(Source: Yoga Journal: "Life HappensL the Yoga Sutras Take on Suffering").

In Love & Light.
OYC Founder, Tracey L. Ulshafer & your OYC Teaching Staff


* * * * * * *


I wish that I could say that Hope is something that I've always had and been connected to. The truth is that like most people when I was dealing with a very challenging time, I sometimes battled with giving up on it. I often found myself wondering why something was happening to me or why God had forsaken me. It was; in fact;  a lot of "poor me." I remember one day in particular when my father told me I had to stop feeling sorry for myself because life was hard and I had to find a way to deal with it. I didn't like what he said and I certainly didn't want to hear it, but it was what I needed to hear and it stuck with me ever since. 

Of course I still have moments or days when I struggle with keeping my faith up. So I do my best to keep quiet those days and wait until it passes...which it inevitably always does. Yoga has become such a powerful tool for me to keep a positive attitude and cultivate an attitude of hope with. Before yoga I actually had no tools. With yoga, I find a place to be still and reflect without reacting. It's a way to get in touch with my "shit" and move through it intelligently and non-reactively. 

I know that many yogis talk about hope being just more attachments, but I'm not talking about hoping for a sugar-daddy to pay your bills. I'm talking about keeping a positive attitude and knowing that the moment will pass and tomorrow will be a better day. I know a lot of friends and family who literally live one day at a time - one moment at a time. They have to for their own health. That takes inner strength, self-love and hope to happen. And so I never underestimate the power of being hopeful.

I truly hope that you all have a wonderful month. Harvest season is upon us, so let's relish in all that we are grateful for cultivating and hope for a restful and nurturing winter ahead.

In Love, Service & Wisdom.
Tracey L. Ulshafer,
Founder/Director, One Yoga Center 

Comments