July's Theme: NURTURE!

JULY 2017
"We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it."
- John Lennon

How was the theme of "NURTURE" not come up yet? I went back through my emails and blogs because I found it hard to believe, but this is the first month we are receiving the message to "NURTURE." So, what does that mean? Nurturing is simply applying consistent care and encouragement towards the development of something. Usually we tend to equate nurturing outward towards another being, especially to a baby or child. Proper nurturing of a small life is certainly very important to his or her development. But what we do tend to forget most often is nurturing ourself. How else do we have the energy and vitality in which to care for another? And yet, there it is...

If you have developed a regular yoga practice, you probably understand what it means to nurture. You realize without your practice, your body, mind, emotions, and other aspects of the self start to deteriorate in some way. The yoga practice is a complete way of caring and tending to something sacred and important for yourself and for others.

Now what other ways can you nurture yourself? This question can be a different answer depending on the person, but take a moment to ask it. "How do I nurture myself?" The answer should come easy to you. If not...uh-oh...we have some work to do! And summertime is an excellent time of year for it too. We just passed the Summer Solstice, so the second half of the year and a slow winding down of solar energy now begins to occur. There is a subtle energy movement inward. We may not feel it until the Autumn Equinox because the sun's energy is so prevalent at the moment, but its there. Taking a well-deserved vacation can be a nurturing thing to do. Making time to rest at home with friends and loved ones, taking time to nap, read, get a massage, take a bath, or just sit and enjoy the sites and sounds of nature - these are all very nurturing things. Maybe you can think of some more for you.

For those who like the idea of receiving a massage, I am now back to hosting them at the studio and is now taking appointments. 

Whatever you do, consider what nurtures not only your body, but your mind and your soul. July should be a month of self-love and care in as many creative ways that you can dream up!

In Love & Light,
OYC Founder, Tracey L. Ulshafer & your OYC Teaching Staff



* * * * * * * * * *

Tracey's Message:

I love the idea of nurturing. I even do it sometimes too! All joking aside, I always have been one to nurture myself in some way. I realized long ago the importance of taking care of myself so that I have the energy to do for others. Its no secret that I've been working through some challenges the first half of the year, which forced me to slow down. Even though I did tend to move at a rapid pace, I always convinced myself that because I got a monthly massage or took a day off here or there that I was nurturing myself too. I've learned that nurturing is a constant effort; however, one that is important to do daily, not just once a month!

I've integrated morning meditations and daily chanting into my practice for about six months now. It has really helped me nurture my body, mind and soul in a more complete way. Of course I've always told other people to meditate, but I never really took the time to do it myself with regularity. Now, I find my day is not complete without it. If I skip doing it because of a schedule conflict, I really feel the difference. Meditation can be that nurturing element for you if you find yourself unavailable to do the physical practices anymore or at least at the moment. But even if you don't do the postures, you can still come in to any yoga class, lie down, breathe and soak up the energy of our themed classes. You'll be surprised how much you can get out of just being at the studio in a class.

I've also recently found a connection to Angel guides. I never thought that this energy would be so healing and nurturing to me. I've started integrating Angel cards and readings into my regular yoga classes for an added nurturing element for students too. Everyone has found it comforting to know that the angels are around us during our practice, providing each person with a special message or reminder in which to focus on during class. 

And, in addition, I've decided to put a focus on my massage and energy work again. These modalities took a backseat to my teaching yoga for a long time, but I remembered how nurturing performing therapeutic massage also was for me as well as the recipient. You can see my appointment times on the flyer below, but if those times don't work for you, call or email me to talk more. I may have other availability depending on the week.

So if you are looking to nurture yourself, come see me at the studio in July for some of these special things. Or, if you know someone who could benefit from some of these nurturing items, contact me to purchase a gift card! Nurture away!

In Love & Light.
Tracey L. Ulshafer, Founder/Director, One Yoga Center 

Comments