March's Theme 2018: EMRACE THE CHANGE

March 2018's Theme: 
EMBRACE THE CHANGE!

The old adage says that March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. With the Spring Equinox signifying the equal day of light and dark, and with warmer, brighter, longer days immediately following, change has always been the mantra for March. 

As a practitioner of yoga you probably already know that this practice can bring about significant life-changes. As the practice allows you to reconnect with your true and authentic self, first through the body, but then onto the deeper levels of your being, you cannot help but come to understand yourself more, and thusly, make the changes in your life that are calling to you to do. And yet, we often struggle with change, don't we? The familiarity of our existence, even when it is not fantastic, is often chosen over the unknown, which some might think could be worse than what we've already got. But, nothing great ever happened by not taking those chances and stagnating. 

Just when caterpillar thought world was over it became a butterfly. - proverb.

Your yoga practice is always there for you during times of change, helping create balance where you need it. Weather patterns can abruptly change during the month of March, wreaking havoc on our immune and other body systems. Nothing new is growing quite yet to eat in our area, so we are rationing the last of our stored food or eating veggies that have been shipped from across the country or world, often lacking in significant prana (life force energy). It's important to continue to nurture this month during the cycles of change. But be careful not to overdo it physically. Spring will be here soon enough, bringing a boost of energy for everyone. Until then, use March to move smoothly through any changes, but with the heightened energy of the double-dosed full moons on both the 1st and last day of this month, be prepared for significant and positive things to manifest! 

Here are some helpful yogic tools for March in helping cultivate this energy:

Chant: The Hindu goddess, Saraswati is honored each Spring in India with her own festival. Chant to Saraswati, goddess of arts, wisdom and learning this month to give you the extra push to finish up winter projets: 
OM AIM SARASWATI NAMAHA (Salutations to the Goddess Saraswati)
Meditation: Chakra Balancing guided mediations are great for March. Get those energy centers aligned and balanced! 
Breath: Breath of Fire. This powerful breath cultivates the powers of transformation. It is a challenging breath done by exhaling sharply through the nose while pulling the belly in rapidly and repeated. The inhale is more passive through the nose. Focus on the sharp exhales, pumping the belly. Start slowly for 20 reps, then gradually increase in speed and reps. Contraindications: high blood pressure (unmedicated), pregnancy, recent surgery, abdominal issues. 

Postures: All yoga is going to be helpful this month, but we especially invite you to try a different class or style than what you usually attend, attacking your practice with the beginner's mindset! You can also practice 108 Sun Salutations on the day of the Spring Equinox. This is a powerful ritual performed by yogis on the solstices and equinoxes. So, if you can't get to it now, we still have summer solstice coming!

Alter: Your alter for March is for the energies of the Spring Equinox. Although Easter isn't until April 1st, eggs are a popular symbol used for the Spring Equinox. You can get plastic eggs or use hardboiled ones and color them. Write positive words or affirmations on a piece of paper to put inside the plastic eggs, or write them on the hard boiled eggs. I suggest a green colored candle at the center of your alter, for growth.

Here's how you can join us in March at One Yoga Center to support our theme of Embrace the Change:

Meditation (moving within, relaxing the mind & restoring the body)
Monday Meditations with Tracey at 11 am. $5 if attending 9:30 am class or $10 drop-in

Combating Compassion Fatigue - Sunday March 18, 11:15 am - 1:45 pm
Is it burnout? Compassion fatigue? Vicarious trauma? Or am I just a little nervous? Those in healing professions discover over time that there is a cost for caring. We may seem that we are dealing with our stress, but it can be too much and draining. Join clinician and yoga teacher, Kathryn Bedard, as she leads us through discussion, self-assessment, and healing plans. Investment $45. 
Drumming Circle - Saturday March 24, 6:30 pm
Drumming has a powerful way of moving through and releasing energy. Join our friend and drummer, Vincent Pierce-Smith, as he guides us through a drumming circle! Investment: $20

Kundalini Gong Immersion - Saturday March 31, 4:30-6:30 pm
Join Malkaprem on a deep, healing Kundalini Gong Immersion! This sound vibrational healing is just the beginning of this deep, transformational event. Investment: $40  
We hope you will take some time to join us in these amazing offerings! 

In Love, Service & Wisdom, Tracey and the One Yoga Center Teachers.

* * *  * * ** * * * *

Special Message from Tracey for March

Embracing Change seems to be a regular mantra for me. I am always changing something around - my hair, the statues in the yoga room, my furniture - you name it! When I was younger I did not like change. I remember getting stomach aches whenever I began a new school - including the day my parents dropped me off at college. Perhaps the biggest change in my life occurred when I left my full time job to teach yoga and do massage full time. It was scary, but it propelled me on a journey of embracing change that I now welcome with anticipation!

I've been working on changing certain aspects of my life once again. The biggest things I always need to change are my mindsets or thought patterns. Take my writing: I have always thought of myself as a writer, but I treat it as a hobby and not a profession. I decided that I was ready to embrace being a writer - and all that this meant - and I went into my latest book with a different mindset: one of a successful, professional writer! Of course the book isn't out yet (maybe by the time you read this it will be), but the feedback I've received by my team of editors and community has been tremendous. I'm bringing in my two favorite things: yoga and writing! And I cannot wait to share The Accidental Yogini with the world. I'll be sure to announce when the book is release and the launch party is going to be - so please stay tuned! Here is a glance at the cover:

One thing that always helps me in dealing with change is trusting that the universe has my back and that while I may not always be able to see where the present change is going to propel me next, I know that it is going to be something wonderful and for my best and highest good. I realize that trusting is not always easy, but its better than living in fear and worrying about not being able to control things. Nothing good can come from this way of being. And the reality is that you can never control anything anyway. So, be in the flow, trust in the universe, and embrace the change! 

In Love & Light,
Tracey L. Ulshafer, Founder, One Yoga & Wellness Center LLC, Experienced-Registered Yoga Teacher 500 hours (E-RYT500), RYS, CMT, Energy Worker, 11:11 True One.

If you would like to meet for private yoga, spiritual counseling or mentoring, contact Tracey at (609) 918-0963 or Info@oneyogacenter.net

Comments