Lessons on Being Challenged by Others

This weekend while at a retreat for my seminary school (which I will blog about separately), the idea came up that I may be challenged by my interfaith approach. Without hesitation I said, "Oh, I am used to being challenged, that won't be a problem for me." In fact, within the span of that weekend, I had received a message challenging me about something. I have found myself in this situation many times in my life and have come to some very powerful conclusions - for me.

First of all, I want to say that when someone challenges something that I have said, I stop and take pause. I listen to what they have to say and I give myself time to digest it and feel it. Then, I do a little research to see if I am, in fact, coming from a truthful place. Sometimes that research is meditating on who I am. Other times I am pulling out books or looking up things online. The point is, I don't just lash back quickly. I take time to look into what I am being challenged about.

When challenged, and even upon deep inquiry, we may not ever know who is "right" and who is "wrong" because there may not even be a context for that. Something that I have come to believe in VERY strongly, is that there are many ways, many paths, many completely different ideologies, and there is validity in all of them. What works for or resinates with one person, may not with another. So why not honor differences, instead of creating division?

We could bring this idea from simple conversations with friends, to the social media context, politics, and religion. The arenas in which this touches are endless. The basic theme is that there are differences, and they are not mostly being honored. More and more there is a need to be right, share your idea or viewpoint, and not create space for another to explore theirs.

I wish I could remember the movie I saw years ago with a Catholic Priest who struggled with his faith. And one of the kids who he was working with went to the head of the church and said this of the Priest. The head of the church said to the kid, "It is because he challenges his faith everyday, that makes him a good Priest." Yes. It is good to be challenged! It is good to investigate what you feel, think, or know. And, at the end of the day, if after that investigation you still feel the same, then great, you have a deeper sense of self and a deeper conviction to your ideology.

As an owner of a yoga studio, I often share what I have learned, which comes both from teachers, my own reading and research, and self exploration of the practice. Someone who practices Bikram Yoga and teaches to lock the knees, would challenge my teaching people to NOT lock the knees. I explain that locking the knees stresses the joint and allows one to rely on the joint and general flexibility, thus putting strain on said joint, rather than the strength of the muscle around the joint, which creates a balance of tone and flexibility. There, I explained myself. Go try it out, if you practice Bikram. If you like it, keep it. If it does not work for you, let it go and go back to locking your knees. I can't change what you feel is right, nor should I want to. Guess what? I will still "like" you if you do not agree with me. But don't insist that I am wrong, and that the Bikram method is the only valid one. This type of thinking is what gets us in trouble all the time.

When was the last time that you were challenged by someone about something that you "believe" in? And, how did you handle it? What was the resolution?

Its sad that today many people do not understand that not only is it important to be challenged so that we can look deep within ourselves and question our truths, but it is also even more important to accept other viewpoints as their truths. (And, of course, I am not talking about sick situations of mass injustices that hurt and kill other beings. That is another entire discussion, and honoring narcissistic energy that only wants to hurt others for their own gain is certainly never going to be okay).

Swami Satchidananda said, "Truth is One, Paths are Many." This idea is shared in the Yogaville LOTUS Shrine in Virginia at his ashram that I had the privilege to visit last year. It resonated with me deeply, since I named the studio ONE, and truly believe that we are all One, and that we can coexist with different viewpoints and ideologies, as long as there is love and respect for one another that goes along with it.

So the next time that someone challenges you, take a moment to reflect. Maybe do some meditation or research. And respond from a deeper place of understanding, but in the energy of love and respect. Let's see if we can change the world, one challenge at a time.

In Love & Light,
Tracey


Comments