February Newsletter 2021 - Cleanse & Purify

Dear Yogi/Yogini Friends of One Yoga,

 

Has the dust begun to settle a bit on 2021 for you? I hope that you are finding energy flowing again, albeit slowly, but towards an ultimately positive direction. It is the wintertime and we are still in the middle of the dark time of year when we recoil inward, slow down and rest more. So, you may be feeling much of the same as you have been. But the light is growing stronger everyday and we can enjoy the anticipation of the long awaited reemergence of spring.

 

As the second month of the year, February is linked to the number two in numerology, a number representing happiness and cooperation. And so, the energy of February is often linked to love, which many people feel comes from the connection to St. Valentine's Day, but partnerships are most often equated with two's and cooperation is most certainly needed in those. Is there no better way to experience happiness and cooperation than through love?

 

The latin for February is Februum, meaning purification. I think of this month as also being a great time to purify our inner world. We have been hunkering down, perhaps eating foods that are heavier and denser. We may have put on a few pounds - or the 15 lbs that came with 2020! So, what a perfect time to work on decluttering your surroundings, purging and cleansing. I myself am needing a big cleansing ritual after holding on to so much energy this past year. Personally, my mother, who has been living with us, is moving to Florida, and I will be down there with her for a little bit of time and then coming home to reorganize the house and create more living space again. In the process of this, I have my first four-days-in-a-row off! With wonderful teachers taking on a couple of my classes and instructing some of theirs, I will be using this time to unwind and release a lot of energy. After this, once I meet my mother in Florida I plan to continue to focus on cleaner eating and other purifications of my body, mind and soul. 

 

I was having a little laugh with myself about this pending Groundhog's day. Many have joked that we have been living through a Groundhog's Day (as in the movie) for a year now. In fact, it was about that time last year that we started to hear about this virus in China. Hey, maybe this year will reset our system back to normal operating mode! Now that's an interesting thought. But February 2nd is also a holiday called Imbolc or Candlemass, the celebration of the  stirrings of the first seeds planted this year. Energetically, this reminds me of intentions or plans that I made. Well, not this year, but maybe revisiting my plans with the newfound wisdom this past year has brought, and discerning if I should realign with my course or rechart a new one...and then get to it! If you put things on hold the last year, isn't it about time to get to life again? 

 

So, I truly feel like February is a great month to revisit plans, to cleanse and purify in preparation, to work on important partnerships, and to zone in on what makes us happy, and then decide to be so. Even though we are still experiencing winter, in February it's time to start moving some energy - just like the crocus that begins to peak its head out of the soil, celebrating life.

 

In love, service and wisdom

Rev. Dr. T

Comments