Studi(OM)ango with an Old Friend (July 11)

I awoke this morning with the same radiating heat down my right arm. "Damn," I thought. I was annoyed with myself. I wanted to get through this week and enjoy some more classes and I didn't want to have to give up. But there's that body's wisdom thing that I need to honor at the same time. I found myself in a bit of a quandary. I petted my dog, Kali. She gave me the sad eyes like she didn't want me to leave again. My other dog, Bodhi, nuzzled up next to my leg. I sat in bed with my iphone checking out local studio schedules to determine if there was any way I could hit a couple and do something gentle for my body. I had narrowed it down to 4 studios and I knew there was no way I'd be catching more than 2. What to do...what to do...?

I hit the shower and reached for my bottle of the "Thai Yellow Stuff," which I know works well on joints. Since I had no success with tiger balm last night, I figured, let's go for the papa of all balms. Within 15 minutes I was feeling amazing. The radiating heat was gone and the clicking and throbbing was less too. I had to really take stock of the situation and not go for it like I could easily do. So I said goodbye to my dogs, grabbed my stuff and got in the car. I actually didn't know where I was going until I started plugging an address in the gps.

I arrived at Studio Mango in Pennington at 9am. A former student of mine, Miss Ryah Dekis, was teaching a 9:30 "Calm & Strong" class, and I knew that she would get me modifying anything I needed to (cause I taught her that). I'd heard nice things about Studio Mango and the owner, Julia. But I couldn't make a class with her this week and there was something pulling me to take a class with Ryah anyway.

It was so good to see an old friend. Ryah embodies the life of a yogini in many ways. I won't embarrass her here with private details about her life and travels, but when you meet Ryah you know right away that she is a true yogini. Ryah welcomes everyone with a big smile and for those that she knows, a bigger hug. She takes time to check in with each person individually before class, asks what they may like or need at that moment. You can feel her compassion for each student and know that you are well taken care of in her class.

Ryah Dekis, Yogini Extraordinaire :)
Studio Mango is located in a light, upstairs room painted in...mango color! The sparse decorations really pop in the room yet allow you to focus within when you need to. Ryah started us with a great breathing technique and I realized that this entire week of popping around to different studios, I think she was one of the only teachers to teach us a specific breathing technique other than ujjayi - and most teachers simply offered ujjayi without offering the instructions for it. I was so grateful to have time to sit and breathe into my body and create a space to practice. As we continued to practice I was more and more impressed with how much Ryah has grown as a yoga teacher. With wonderful instructions, a watchful eye, and many modifications, Ryah truly is a gifted, all level teacher, something that is difficult to come by these days. I felt grateful to practice with Ryah, modify for myself, work a little yet not over do it. It was a perfectly blended class.

Ryah teaches all around Mercer County, and if you want to check her out somewhere, check out her Facebook page for Ryahhh Yoga by clicking here: Ryahhh Yoga on Facebook

As for me and my arm, well it didn't feel too bad after class. Not as bad as yesterday and not much different than after I applied the balm. I didn't do a lot with my arms in class, however, and I could feel restriction and pain when I moved my neck, so I had a good idea whatever was causing this heat was coming from my shoulder area. So, feeling okay, and wanting to take another class and check out another studio before lunch. What to do...what to do...?

Comments